What People Are Saying About Penny

"I like to think of you as a high priced call girl that the unwashed masses can't afford--like Woody Allen's Whore of Mensa. It's not your fault that people offer $10 blowjobs on the street corner. It's not an insult if somebody doesn't buy your art." -Alexandra J Walters

"Once Penny was making her own silk thread, and a midget appeared. Before he could open his ugly mouth, without looking up, she exclaimed, 'Rumpelstiltskin. Now get the fuck out of here.' Fairytale Over."- Beth Featherstone

"Penny can push a needle through a telephone pole without a thimble." -Shane Blaufuss

"When a man asked Penny, 'What’s the meaning of life?' She looked at him for exactly 3 minutes, completely still, until he cried. That man’s name was Steve Jobs."- Beth Featherstone

"A demon from the pits of bitch cunt." -W.C. Hurst

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Learning About Tatting




I just wrote a bit about tatting for Needle Exchange on MrXStitch, something I know close to nothing about. So that was interesting. I did find a book called The Art of Tatting by Lady Katharin Louisa Hoare, and the into was written by Queen Elizabeth of Romania. I thought I'd share a portion here-


I thought this was amazing. This little bit really stuck in my head-


Anyway, head over to MrXStitch to check it out!

7 comments:

  1. Tatting. Wow. What an intriguing post.

    Excellent research and images.

    Carla
    chief embroidery officer
    myneedlehabit (at) etsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your enthusiasm. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post! I do love my tatting! It is soothing I must say! If you'd like to see what my tatting looks like come on over to my post! What is interesting is that the lady in your painting is holding a very lovely knotting shuttle, but it is lovely just the same! :D
    (((hugs))) and nice to meet you!
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you TattingChic! I will come visit, and when I write the contemporary companion piece, I will be sure to link to you as a resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops - think I missed verification. Just said to come visit me too and click on our bloggy friends' link (nearly 200 tatters!) If this happens to duplicate, just delete it.
    http://threadsofatattinggoddess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate tatting--the act of tatting, not the finished product, which is very lovely. I can't get into it, but I love the article. Women's History is such a rare thing--an honest account that much rarer. It's nice to know that women with my exact reverence for the art of self-soothing existed so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my theory is that more women need to get back to some type of crafting or handwork....
    So much a better place to spill their thoughts than online ... and quietly, as suggested, so that no irretrievable harm is done (like at the quick click of a mouse in a hasty email!) ...sounds pretty good advice to me...but, then... it does't seem to matter how many years go by... much stays the same...

    ReplyDelete