What People Are Saying About Penny

"I like to think of you as a high priced call girl that the unwashed masses can't afford--like Woody Allen's Whore of Mensa. It's not your fault that people offer $10 blowjobs on the street corner. It's not an insult if somebody doesn't buy your art." -Alexandra J Walters

"Once Penny was making her own silk thread, and a midget appeared. Before he could open his ugly mouth, without looking up, she exclaimed, 'Rumpelstiltskin. Now get the fuck out of here.' Fairytale Over."- Beth Featherstone

"Penny can push a needle through a telephone pole without a thimble." -Shane Blaufuss

"When a man asked Penny, 'What’s the meaning of life?' She looked at him for exactly 3 minutes, completely still, until he cried. That man’s name was Steve Jobs."- Beth Featherstone

"A demon from the pits of bitch cunt." -W.C. Hurst

Monday, February 22, 2010

Help me pick out a Drum Carder!

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a drum carder. I really need to start taking better care of my hands, and hand carding pounds of fiber is probably something I could stand to take a break from.

But what am I going to do with all this fiber?!?

So here's the deal, reader. I need help picking out a drum carder. I don't want anything motorized, and I'd REALLY not like to have to put anything together.

Currently I have pounds and pounds of the following fiber-

Llama
Silk
Wool (Navajo, Finn, Icelandic, BFL, Coopworth)
Angora Goat (Mohair)

Here's what I need to know, If I want to blend Silk and Finn, can I do that on a medium tooth carder? Or can I only use fine toothed carder for blending fine fibers?
Also, Does anyone own the Ashford Wild Drum Carder? I would love something that could handle crazy art batts, but I can't find info on the teeth. Can I card a regular old mohair/wool blend through this? Let me know. And, has anyone used the Fancy Kitty Kitten Drum Carder?

Anyway spinners, What do you use? What do you like? What can I cram fine and medium fiber through and not end up in tears?



3 comments:

  1. i have the louet fine cloth (it's now called the "classic" and has 46 teeth per sq in), which is actually not very fine. it's a beast that seems made for crazy art batts. i've heard people who work a lot with fine fibers prefer something with finer cloth (the strauch is popular), but i've carded plenty of regular wool batts, mohair and alpaca, and angora bunny on mine too, and i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Strauch Petite and love it. I have owned this carder for well almost three years and never had a problem with it. I use it for carding my Etsy batts so it gets a work out.

    ReplyDelete