What People Are Saying About Penny

"I like to think of you as a high priced call girl that the unwashed masses can't afford--like Woody Allen's Whore of Mensa. It's not your fault that people offer $10 blowjobs on the street corner. It's not an insult if somebody doesn't buy your art." -Alexandra J Walters

"Once Penny was making her own silk thread, and a midget appeared. Before he could open his ugly mouth, without looking up, she exclaimed, 'Rumpelstiltskin. Now get the fuck out of here.' Fairytale Over."- Beth Featherstone

"Penny can push a needle through a telephone pole without a thimble." -Shane Blaufuss

"When a man asked Penny, 'What’s the meaning of life?' She looked at him for exactly 3 minutes, completely still, until he cried. That man’s name was Steve Jobs."- Beth Featherstone


Monday, January 25, 2010

I need help!

I have a question for those of you that spin AND weave- I want to weave with some BFL singles I spun, they're not over spun, and I set the twist with the hot bath, wack the skein method. But because they are singles, they'll always be energized, right? How will these effect my final product? Will they bias like with knitting at the first touch of humidity? Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Maybe you'd get some help if you didn't talk gibberish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. weoi'oqowyteeeeeeeeeeeeeedfhtrj22222222222222222ghilqw//////////f

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will bias. You can slightly felt the fabric and that will help. Or you could felt the singles. Or you could use opposite (s and z spun) singles for the warp and weft. Or you can sew a non fusable stabilizer to the back before sewing. Bias is good, though. I guess it depends on what your final use will be.

    Whenever I mess up woven fabric, I felt it hard and sew it into a bag or use it as a rug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Alex! This is helpful.
    So, if I used Z for the warp and S for the weft, they will kind of work together and balance? I've read that but never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a spinner, I weave though, and I do a lot of research into early medieval European textiles, where singles were the norm for weaving. Both Z/S and Z/Z were common (S/S didn't really become common until the spinning wheel replaced the drop spindle as the primary spinning tool). I don't recall any mention of Z/Z going weird and bias typically, and what we know of the cutting of garments would suggest that if it did, it would be a problem.

    I checked with my Living History weaving group (who recreate those textiles), on the subject and the impression I get from them is that it shouldn't bias unless it's overspun. What they say will happen is that plain cloth woven with Z/Z or S/S will show diagonal lines known as tracking in the finished cloth. At least one of the weavers with a great deal of experience and knowledge says her Z/S cloth is softer and more flexible than Z/Z, with a less noticeable diagonal line. One of my research books says it's also more stable.

    Of course, if you want something with some serious but subtle visual interest, you could try stripes or even plaid, by grouping alternating bunches of Z and S-spun in your warp and/or weft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Brenda! You are a rock star!
    Thank you so much for your amazing research! I'm a drop spindle spinner so I'm drooling over the historical context.
    This info is really tremendous!

    ReplyDelete