What People Are Saying About Penny

"I like to think of you as a high priced call girl that the unwashed masses can't afford--like Woody Allen's Whore of Mensa. It's not your fault that people offer $10 blowjobs on the street corner. It's not an insult if somebody doesn't buy your art." -Alexandra J Walters

"Once Penny was making her own silk thread, and a midget appeared. Before he could open his ugly mouth, without looking up, she exclaimed, 'Rumpelstiltskin. Now get the fuck out of here.' Fairytale Over."- Beth Featherstone

"Penny can push a needle through a telephone pole without a thimble." -Shane Blaufuss

"When a man asked Penny, 'What’s the meaning of life?' She looked at him for exactly 3 minutes, completely still, until he cried. That man’s name was Steve Jobs."- Beth Featherstone

"A demon from the pits of bitch cunt." -W.C. Hurst

"pulitzer for you too." -John Lurie

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Shmo-Mamms Fabric



I have a love hate relationship with Joannes. When I shop there, I can't help but feel like I've been shipwrecked onto an island inhabited by acrylic yarn harpies. I do order a lot of fabric and notions online, but I'm cheap, and you can't beat $2.99 yards of plain white cotton that's a mile from my house with no shipping charge. So anyway, I don't really think of their stores as anything but the Wallmart of crafting. If you need basics, great, if you need something fancy special, move on. So I can't say I was surprized when my friend fowarded me this earlier this morning. It's a quick read article, check it out and tell me what you think. Agree? Disagree? Not at all surprised? Annoyed?
My favorite quote is "Since when did JoAnn Fabrics become the arbiter of MY morals? I'll go to church for that . . . and when I want styrofoam chickens I'll go to JoAnn's."
(read the original article here )
Quilt by Shawn Quinlan, titled Jesus Get Your Gun

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. Ugh, ugh, UGH. I love Jo-Ann's. I hate censorship.

    Ugh. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say enough nice things about Jo-Anns in my little rant. I love that I can get handfuls of floss and hoops on the cheap, and big rolls of white paper, and pretty cool home decor fabric. I just hate when I need something specific, (Heat transfer markers, not pencils, and not washable fabric pens), it's an exercise in aggravation. And the blank stares I get from the employees as they point to the items I specificity don't need, makes me want to rip out my hair.
    I get that Jo-Anns ultimately decides what goes on their shelves, and that's their business, but the fact that the magazine was offered to them shrink wrapped and they still declined, really pisses me off. It makes me feel like they're stubbornly ignoring a significant minority who uses crafting as art, because it might offend the scrap-bookers and people who buy rapture decals. I guess Jo-Anns has never felt very inclusive to me, but they certainly don't have to be. They're kind of the only game in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy a lot of muslin from there so I feel your pain. I've been to Walmarts too, wasn't much of a fan of their "craft" department either(but they are gone gone gone). I agree that Joann's is usually the only place to go and fortunately I really like the ladies who work there along with the embroidery floss which seems to be on sale there more often then everywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've finally moved on to better locales for my wool and yarn. There's a lovely little weaving/textile center 4 minutes from my house where I teach soap felting classes for kids and parents. In return, I get free yarn and wool. Top quality and I get it all free. Sadly, I still head to Joann's for basic jerseys and simple dress-making patterns. It's so cheap and so convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather-
    Totally. I pretty much do the exact same thing. All my fancy stuff comes from my local indie stores or farms, or online, but it will always be cheaper to get basics at Joshams.

    ReplyDelete