What People Are Saying About Penny

"I like to think of you as a high priced call girl that the unwashed masses can't afford--like Woody Allen's Whore of Mensa. It's not your fault that people offer $10 blowjobs on the street corner. It's not an insult if somebody doesn't buy your art." -Alexandra J Walters

"Once Penny was making her own silk thread, and a midget appeared. Before he could open his ugly mouth, without looking up, she exclaimed, 'Rumpelstiltskin. Now get the fuck out of here.' Fairytale Over."- Beth Featherstone

"Penny can push a needle through a telephone pole without a thimble." -Shane Blaufuss

"When a man asked Penny, 'What’s the meaning of life?' She looked at him for exactly 3 minutes, completely still, until he cried. That man’s name was Steve Jobs."- Beth Featherstone

"A demon from the pits of bitch cunt." -W.C. Hurst

"pulitzer for you too." -John Lurie

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dreams Dashed.

So. Habu Textiles 100% stainless steel thread.
I was so excited when I saw this online, and visions of the most amazing, mind bending, embroidery danced through my head. I thought it would be perfect for a new trilobite fossil set on gray silk. I could see hanging on my wall, in my Etsy shop, and I even let myself think about what I would say when people asked in disbelief, "Steel Thread? AMAZING! I'll take four!"
Unfortunately, it's about the width of a hair. No really. So after many frustrating attempts of using a single strand, I finally loaded it onto my Lazy Kate, and very sloooowly wound about 20 unwieldy, slippery yards onto my Niddy Noddy.
Stainless Steel ThreadmareStainless Steel Threadmare
I did that about four times before I managed to get a teeny skein that did not tangle and knot as I wound it. After the second attempt, the doubt seriously set in, and I felt had.
Now, to Habu Textiles credit, they don't suggest anywhere that this product be used as floss. They recommend that it be used to ply with other yarn, and that it was originally created for industrial purposes.
Stainless Steel Threadmare
Anyway, I'm still going to play around with it. After all, I spent like fourteen bucks on the spool, but I can't help but feel disappointed.
On a happier note, I'm doing a raunchy-dirty-birdy swap with Beefranck, which I'm really excited about, and Django is coming along nicely compared to my steel threadmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment